Coordinator-Community Legal Centre
About the Role
This is a permanent part time position working 30 hours (to be negotiated). We offer great employment benefits including a generous salary packaging scheme (up to $15,900 per annum).
The position will involve working in collaboration with the BCLS team to provide direct support to both the Bayside Community Legal Service and the BCLS Mediation Service.
The duties and responsibilities will include:
- Reception duties.
- Assisting solicitors with the preparation of factsheets and other material.
- All administrative duties of the BCLS Mediation Service under the supervision of the Principal Solicitor.
- Coordinating volunteers.
- Conducting intakes and scheduling appointments.
- Be aware of and comply with the Centre’s Risk Management Guide, and the Centre’s policies and procedures.
Key Selection Criteria – Essential Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Qualities
- Demonstrated administrative and organisational skills.
- Good written and oral communication and interpersonal skills, enabling you to work co-operatively, collaboratively and effectively with the Centre’s management, staff and volunteers as well as the Centre’s various stakeholders.
- Demonstrated capacity to support a cohesive team environment in a fast-paced environment including the coordination of volunteer staff.
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision, show initiative and prioritise tasks.
- Working knowledge of CLASS data system or ability to acquire a working knowledge rapidly.
- Understanding and commitment to principles of social justice and a capacity to liaise effectively with people from diverse backgrounds. An ability to work empathetically and diplomatically with clients with complex legal issues.
- Driven by integrity, responsibility, accountability, attention to detail and pride in work.
How to Apply
To apply please submit a Cover Letter and Resume to the Principal Solicitor, Caitlin Downs at Caitlin.Downs@bcls.org.au.
Applications close: 1 June 2022 at 5.00pm.
You will be employed under the Social, Community, Home Care and Disability Services Industry Award 2010. Remuneration is negotiable and is commensurate with experience.
BCLS is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, those from cultural and linguistically diverse backgrounds and LGBTIQ communities.
We reserve the right the interview and appoint a successful candidate prior to the closing date of 1 June 2022. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Apply here for volunteer positions.
Our volunteer lawyers provide legal advice in a range of areas during our Monday night advice sessions. These sessions run from 6:30pm to 9pm. We can allocate you to a particular area of law if this is what you prefer, and book in clients with legal issues you feel comfortable with. We run a rotating roster with volunteer lawyers providing advice about every six weeks; however, this can be negotiated depending on your availability.
Volunteer Lawyers must have:
1. An unrestricted practising certificate; and
2. At least one year experience within the past three years in a position where they have provided legal advice.
Please note, if you do not meet the above criteria you will not be able to volunteer as a Solicitor at BCLS. To become a solicitor at BCLS there is an approval process. If you have any questions, please contact the Principal Solicitor.
We offer a facilitated co-meditation style of dispute resolution service. We team you up with another mediator to assist our clients with coming to a resolution about their issue. We mediate small civil matters, separations involving property, and separations involving children. We also have FDRP accredited mediators as well as certified mediators.
Our volunteer students assist us with a range of tasks vital to keep our service running on a day-to-day basis. As a volunteer student you can expect to assist with research, administrative duties, welcoming clients and conducting client intakes. We offer a diverse range of experience no matter where you are in your studies. We have a roster and can negotiate times depending on your availability.
Please note that we do receive a large volume of applications. You will only be contacted if you meet the above criteria and we have positions open.